Address: Chericov, Mogilev region 213530, Boldina Street, 31
Receiving room: 8 (02243) 31741
The region occupies 102,227 hectares. The region lies within the Orshansko-Mogilevskaya Plain and stretches for 46km from north to south and for 40km from west to east.
In the east, south-east and south the soils are loamy. In the north, west and north-west the soils are clay and sandy. There are also some peat and flood valleys.
Agricultural lands occupy 51.6% of the region’s territory, of them 35.2% are arable lands, 15.8% are meadows. Forests occupy 41% of the region’s territory. Among the mineral resources are chalk (264.1 million tonnes), minerals used in production of bricks and cement (0.8 million cubic meters and 14.8 million tonnes respectively).
In the south of the region there is Sozh with its main inflows Udoga, Lopchanka, Senna, Volcha. There are some lakes. The region boasts 20 species of fish, including pike, pike-perch, catfish, bream, orfe, tench, crucian carp and perch.
There is also a hunting reserve which was founded in 1960 to renew and maintain the optimal quantity of wild animals in the region. Veprinskaya Dubrava is located on the territory of the reserve.
The region also has a rich wildlife, including deer, elks, boars, hares, squirrels, wolves, otters, roedeer. Many species are listed in the Red Book of Belarus, such as black stork, black vulture, harrier, beaver, bear, etc. Among the rare plants listed in the Red Book of Belarus are red helleborine, European globe-flower, hypericum, groundsel, fescue.
The first written mentioning of Cherikov dates back to 1460: “In 1460 Great Duke Kazimir IV ordered to build several Orthodox churches in Belarus in honor of his wife, one of them was built in the town of Cherikov”. The town was also mentioned in written sources of the 16th century as center of the Mogilev province of the Great Duchy of Lithuania. The town presumably derives its name from the worlds “chertalo”, “chertit” which mean ploughman. According to another theory, the name of the town originates from the word “cherik”, an ancient name for boats which were moored on the right bank of the Sozh on the site where Cherikov was founded. One more legend says that during the Tatar yoke the Slavs brought their sheep to give them as tribute to the Tatars to the place of the present-day town and, hence, the town was called after the word “chirik” which literary means “tribute place”.
During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 the Cherikov region was in the frontline zone. During the occupation from July 16, 1941 to October 1, 1943 the Nazis killed 653 people, sent about 1,500 people for slave labour in Germany, burned down all the kolkhozes, sovkhozes, schools, libraries, manufactures. Only 84 buildings out of 916 survived the occupation. The Cherikov underground movement included partisan groups #700, #720, #721, #15. As many as 30 memorials and soldier’s graves, 21 obelisks and memorable sights located in the region bear testimony to the atrocities of war.